Friday, January 14

Friday...

Last night was the January Columbus Polymer Clay Guild meeting. We are trying something new, we are doing demos from Polymer Clay Color Inspirations: Techniques and Jewelry Projects for Creating Successful Palettes by Lindly Haunani and Maggie Maggio

I liked the new format for the meeting. We did the normal stuff, but in addition, we went around the room and introduced ourselves. We also did hands on demo, and I really was glad we are doing them again. I liked it so much that I volunteered for June's demo. It will be the color triangle from the book. I like the project, very enlightening - but can be very, very repetitive mixing all the colors. I started a few different ones before, and got really bored in the middle. When it is exploring, I enjoy, when it is rote - not so much. But the end product is just so cool, and really helpful.


I am slowly working through Katherine Dewey's Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay. A really great book, and really a cool concept in how to sculpt – everything is drawn from base units. You use a set number of units or fractions of a unit for the facial parts, for arms, legs, or torso. Then you place “appliqués” that simulate the muscle and bone, and smooth them out to give it skin. It really is very detailed, very step by step, and organized. It also has a set of tools to make to help make the sculpting easier. The computer programmer brain likes the idea, and the creative part really likes that you can use the base idea and move from there!
I have been drawn to Polymer clay ladies faces - and have been using fantastic molds that I have purchased. But, if I want to go much father with them, I feel the need to make my own faces and molds from them. This book has made me feel that I could do that and really is quite a great wealth of information.

No comments: